There is something to be said about homemade vanilla whipped cream. It tastes fantastic, and is so much better than the store bought kinds. When making whipped cream at home you can control the sweetness and flavor. Do you want almond whipped cream? Lemon whipped cream? Or even chocolate whipped cream? Go ahead!
Substitute your preferred extract, zest, and/or your preferred sweetener. The recipe here is basic and uses granulated sugar. However, feel free to use confectioner’s sugar, raw sugar, honey or even maple syrup. Really, any sugar substitute will work.
Just a word of caution… not all extracts and sugars are created equal. Less is more when it comes to some extracts like almond (start with 1/2 teaspoon and work your way up), and when it comes to citrus, keep to zests or essential oils. Just like the extracts, the amount of sugar called for in this recipe might not translate to all types of sweeteners. Please use your discretion when adding your preferred choice. Start small and work your way up, and don’t forget the best part… taste it along the way!
The cake featured in the pictures is our Apple Cake with Orange Zest. YUM!
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy or whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla paste or extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Beat the cream and vanilla in bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer just until loose peaks form.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the cream and continue to beat just until soft peaks form. Take care not to over beat the cream or it will start to look curdled.
- Taste and serve.