A trip down memory lane (and a possible flashback) is what you’ll get with these cupcakes. We’ve discovered that favorite cereals always equal amazing cupcakes because, well, let’s face it, cereal is really just desert for breakfast. Well… unless you are eating bran bark…
We aren’t knocking on bran bark… that too can be turned into fantastic raisin bran muffins. We used our signature brown-butter cinnamon cake base from our Churro Layer Cake, along with our Whipped Cinnamon Vanilla Frosting and a cinnamon & sugar mix to create this nostalgic cupcake.
Cinnamon & Sugar Mixture
We use a 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon to make our cinnamon and sugar mix. However, you will not need this entire batch to coat these cupcakes. The rest can be put in a shaker or a jar and saved for your midnight toast!
Don’t forget a tall glass of milk!
- ½ cup butter, browned and re-solidified to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare cupcake pans with liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cream together the brown butter, sugar and brown sugar until it resembles wet sand.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, yolks, oil and vanilla. Then slowly add into the butter and sugar mixture, beating until creamy and smooth, scraping sides as necessary.
- Add the milk and dry ingredients alternately, scraping down sides between each addition, until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ of the way full and bake at 350°F for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.