It may be the end of summer, but it is always time for ice cream!
This simple vanilla-bean ice cream is paired up with our homemade salted caramel. The ribbons of caramel shine beautifully next to the flecks of vanilla bean.
Served with our Salted Caramel Apple Pie, it is just perfection!
- 1 tbsp salted caramel, plus ¼ - ½ cup for finishing
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste, or 1 tbsp vanilla extract, or 1 vanilla bean pod seeded/scraped
- In a medium bowl, use a band mixer on low speed or which to combine the milk, sugar, salt, and 1 tbsp salted caramel until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or overnight.
- Freeze in ice cream maker per ice cream maker instructions (it will still be quite soft).
- Once ice cream has come to a soft creamy texture, while machine is still running, drizzle the ¼ - ½ cup of salted caramel. Immediately turn off ice cream maker and transfer to an airtight container. Freeze for about 2 hours for a firmer consistency.
- Makes about 5 cups (ten ½ cup servings).