This homemade hot chocolate is rich and creamy, and the nutmeg and cinnamon add an exciting kick to this childhood classic. We recently tried our hand at homemade marshmallows (recipe from Smitten Kitchen) that can be described as sweet vanilla marshmallow heaven. They added a great marshmallow froth to the hot chocolate; no need for whipped cream. If you are on a hot chocolate marshmallow kick, check out our Hot Chocolate Cupcakes!
- 2 ounces unsweetened or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped, or ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan combine chocolate, sugar, and ½ cup of the milk.
- Stir over medium heat until mixture just comes to boiling.
- Stir in remaining 3½ cups milk with cinnamon and nutmeg. Heat through, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!