We used this preserve in our Matcha Green Tea Petit Fours for our Bake 2 the Future Tea Party. The sweetness of the strawberries is countered nicely by the tanginess of the vinegar and it finishes with a slight spice, a complex and mouth-watering flavor.
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, reamed and sliced
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Place strawberries and sugar in a sauce pan and cook on medium heat until you achieve the thickness desired.
- Add balsamic vinegar and black pepper, you may add more or less according to taste.
- If you prefer a smoother texture you can food process the mixture.