The other week while I was preparing for a cook-out I decided that, instead of heating up the kitchen with the oven, I would make strawberries and cream. It is delicious, smooth, creamy, light, slightly sweet, and it can withstand sitting out on a warm spring day.
We stumbled upon this recipe while researching Devonshire Cream, and it can be used as a quick substitute, and works great if you are looking for something to accompany your scones. This recipe is very versatile and can be changed by adding any flavor you see fit. Instead of the lemon, try orange, or switch out your favorite extract for the vanilla in the recipe below. If you do, make sure you let us know how it turns out!
In short, this recipe is perfect for all your summer get-togethers or Sunday morning brunches!
- 4 ounces mascarpone
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 or 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- zest of lemon or lime (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat until it has the texture of whipped cream.
- Use right away or refrigerate until ready to serve.