Dessert for breakfast…or breakfast for dessert?
A fluffy Maple Butter Cake, filled with a strawberry compote, topped with a maple buttercream and decorated with a mini-waffle cake, a strawberry, and a drizzling of Vermont maple syrup…
- 3 cups cake flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 large whole eggs plus 2 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ or 1 teaspoon maple extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare cupcake pans with liners.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Beat butter with paddle attachment of mixer until smooth, add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add whole eggs one at a time, followed by the egg yolks.
- Mix in extracts and maple syrup until combined.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the buttermilk until just combined.
- Reserve some cake batter to make waffle bites.
- Fill 24 cupcake liners to ½ full and bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.