Shortbread Tart Pastry
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons ice water
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a food processor place the flour, salt, and sugar and process until combined.
- Cut the butter into tablespoon sized pieces and add to processor, mixing until it resembles course meal (about 15 seconds).
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla.
- Gradually pour egg mixture in a steady stream with the motor running (through the feed tube) until the pastry just hold together when pinched.
- If too dry add ice water slowly until you reach the right consistency.
- Do not process more than about 30 seconds.
- Transfer the pastry to an 11-inch fluted tart pan and press evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- If you are precooking the crust be sure to weigh it down while baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking until golden brown about another 5-10 minutes.
Cooking times are an estimate, as it depend on how thinly you press out the pastry, once golden brown it is ok to remove from the oven. If you are baking fruit in the crust, like blueberries cooking time once temp is reduced might be longer.