A friend of mine recently got a promotion at work which required her to relocate to a new office a couple of offices down from mine. I sent her a congratulatory email, and this is what I got in response:
“Thanks [Ari]! I’m kinda worried about working near you, since you bring so many baked goods to work! j/k :)”
So what else is a girl to do, but bring in a treat for her first day! I’m evil – I know.
After finding out that her favorite flavor combination is peanut butter and chocolate, Tia and I decided to try an idea that we have been kicking around in our heads for a while: Salted Peanut Butter Cookies, half dipped in chocolate.
We started with a basic peanut butter cookie recipe that we know to be excellent and used our favorite natural peanut butter. We decided to go with a creamy peanut butter and add chopped peanuts to our liking. This allowed us to be in more control over the amount of crunch in our cookies.
After letting them cool, we dipped these cookies in semi-sweet chocolate (which had been melted in a double-boiler). However, we didn’t stop there! We also picked up pink Himalayan sea salt, on a whim, the other day and decided that for the ultimate sweet and salty experience we would grind some and sprinkle it on the chocolate dipped side of the cookies.
The results were delicious! The cookies were the right balance between crunchy and chewy, the chocolate melted in your mouth while adding a creamy element and the salt rounded out the flavor nicely. Although we admit, we did go heavy handed on a few with the salt, but all in all they were delish!
We also whipped up a batch of gluten free peanut butter cookies for those people in the office who have a gluten allergy. These were more crumbly than the regular cookies, but still delicious. They were also a big hit with a gluten intolerant friend at work, who stated that cookies were one of the things she misses most in her diet!
We hope you enjoy! My friend definitely did, despite her concerns. 😉
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup crunchy or creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 21/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 11/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bag chocolate morsels
- Himalayan Sea Salt (optional)
- Cream together butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Stir flour mixture into batter until blended.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheets.
- Flatten each ball with fork, making criss-cross pattern.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375°F for about 10 minutes or until cookies begin to brown.
- Allow to cook on pan for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooking rack.
- In a double-boiler heat your chocolate morsels, until just melted.
- Dust crumbs off of cookies and dip the end of each cookie into the chocolate before transferring to parchment paper.
- If wanted sprinkle sea salt on the melted chocolate while still wet.
- Allow chocolate to set before storing.