Recently, we were talking about how we would like to find a buttercream icing recipe that isn’t so painfully sweet and heavy.
After a bunch of searching, I found the base for a European-style Buttercream which promised to be rich and fluffy but not too sweet, and I was intrigued.
It was just what we had in mind! Fluffy, silky smooth, and although rich in flavor it was not overly sweet. Below is the base recipe we used – feel free to flavor as you see fit!
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 11/2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons liquid flavoring
- Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl over simmering water until warm to the touch and sugar has dissolved completely (do not whip, when it is finished there will be a little foam on the top).
- Remove from heat and transfer to a stand mixer or use an electric mixer and whip until mixture has cooled and stiff peaks have formed.
- Cut butter into small chunks and add to mixer one chunk at a time, waiting to add another until fully incorporated.
- Add extract and fully incorporate.